What does It Mean to Live in a Smart Home Today?
In a new series of blogs, we wanted to go back to basics. In our first installment, we are tackling home automation. “Smart homes” have been represented in popular culture for decades in many ways. From the futuristic utopia of The Jetsons to the modern home design seen in Mr. Robot, these images and ideas may have skewed your opinions of smart homes. But do you know what home automation would mean for your Solana Beach, CA residence today? In the first edition of our back to basics series, we wanted to lay out the realities of smart home life. To learn more, continue reading.
What is a Smart Home?
In the spirit of going back to basics, we wanted to start with the simplest question we could think of. Today, a smart home is a residence with an interconnected group of technologies and devices. These smart technologies are integrated into a home automation system, like those from Control4. Using your control system, you can make adjustments to any of your integrated technologies. Control4 systems provide many options when it comes to controlling your devices. You can choose from switches on the walls, touch panels throughout your house, your own smart devices like phones and tablets, or even voice control by integrating your voice recognition device like an Amazon Echo to the system.
As you live in your smart home, you will see the ways automation makes your days more convenient. One way is through the use of “scenes.” A scene is a collection of settings that you tend to use frequently. For instance, mornings tend to run on routine, so why not let technologies simplify your AM? Every weekday morning, have your motorized shades open at the time you need to wake up and allow the morning sun to help coax you out of bed. Then, your lights will dim up along the path to your bathroom and kitchen. Play a little music in the bathroom to help wake you up as you get ready. Then, when you get to the kitchen, your coffee will already be brewed and waiting.
What Technologies Can You Integrate into Your Smart Home?
The truth is, we can’t fully answer this question. There is not enough time to cover all the members of the Internet of Things in one blog. Plus, there are new products emerging all the time, like smart refrigerators and even smart toilets! But below, we will cover a few of the most popular technologies to integrate.
- Lighting Control: A home’s illumination can really impact its look and feel. Lighting control allows you to easily set the right mood for any at home scenario, whether you’re watching a movie or eating dinner.
- Motorized Shades: Adjust your home’s window coverings with the touch of a button. Use automation to help protect furniture from sun damage or prevent your home from overheating throughout the day.
- Whole Home Audio Video: Distributed audio and video means that it’s simple to watch your favorite show from your favorite source, whether that’s a streaming service or cable, or listen to music in any room. Easily control all of your home’s entertainment with one remote!
See Also: Creating a Memorable Media Room
- Climate Control: Smart thermostats mean that you can keep your home at the most comfortable temperature at all times while using less energy.
- Outdoor Entertainment: Weatherproof options go great on the patio or by the pool. Enjoy the lovely California weather while keeping up with your favorite shows and music.
We hope this blog made home automation a little more realistic. If you have further questions or want to start your next home project, contact Andrus Audio today.
Categories: Home Automation Home Automation Solana Beach CA